The Supreme Court on Tuesday asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which has been entrusted with the investigation into the Manipur sexual assault case, not to proceed with the recording of the statements of the victims for now as the court is set to take up the matter in the afternoon.
A bench presided by Chief Justice of India D Y Chandrachud was informed that the CBI team had reached to record the statements of the women.
The CJI then told Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, who was present in court, to inform the agency to wait for the outcome of the hearing scheduled. “Mr SG, just ask them to wait. We are going to take it at 2 pm today,” the CJI said.
Mehta agreed to convey the same and said that he was not aware of it. “I will convey to them. They will not do anything,” Mehta said. “It (the visit to record the statements) must have been in good faith,” he added.
A video of the two women being paraded naked and sexually assaultedin Manipur had gone viral last month, sparking outrage and protests across the country. The two women have opposed the transfer of the investigation to the CBI and sought the setting up of a special investigation team to probe the alleged incident.Also ReadNarendra Modi Independence Day Speech Live Updates: India now identified ...Govt SOP for Judges: Do not name officials for court panelsShivaji statue vandalised in Goa, police initiate inquiry‘Will return to Red Fort next year’: In Independence Day speech, PM Modi ...
Manipur has been witnessing violence since May following a conflict between the Meiteis and Kukis that has led to more than 100 people being killed and thousands being displaced.